Turkey is a popular travel destination that offers a unique blend of fascinating history, stunning natural landscapes, and vibrant culture. As with any trip abroad, having comprehensive travel insurance is highly recommended to protect yourself against any unforeseen circumstances. This article will provide an overview of travel insurance options for trips to Turkey and recommend the cheapest and best value policies currently available.
Why You Need Travel Insurance for Turkey
While Turkey is generally safe, it’s important to have travel insurance that includes emergency medical coverage and evacuation services. This will protect you in the event of an injury or sudden illness while travelling in Turkey. Other common travel insurance benefits like trip cancellation, lost baggage, and travel delays can also come in handy.
Some key reasons to consider travel insurance for Turkey include:
- Medical care – While medical care in Turkey is quite good in major cities, costs can be much higher for foreign visitors compared to local rates. Insurance helps cover expensive bills.
- Evacuation coverage – If you become seriously ill or injured, evacuation to a facility that can provide proper care is extremely expensive without insurance.
- Adventure activities – Turkey offers lots of great outdoor activities like hiking, sailing, and hot air ballooning. Insurance can protect you if any accidents occur.
- Political uncertainty – While very rare, civil unrest or terrorism does occasionally occur in Turkey. Insurance can help if a trip interruption is required.
- Lost baggage – Airlines mishandle luggage all the time. Insurance can reimburse you if your bags don’t arrive in Turkey.
Factors That Affect Travel Insurance Costs
Several factors determine how much travel insurance for Turkey will cost:
- Trip duration – Longer trips cost more to insure than shorter trips.
- Types of coverage – Comprehensive policies with higher benefit limits cost more.
- Age – Older travelers typically pay a higher rate.
- Deductible amount – Choosing a higher deductible lowers the premium.
- Extra activities – Adding adventure sports or rental vehicle coverage increases the cost.
- Pre-existing conditions – Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions costs more.
- Supplier failure – This optional coverage for tour company bankruptcies adds expense.
Carefully consider the coverage you want and look for ways to lower costs like raising your deductible. Buying well in advance of a trip also usually saves money.
Top Cheap Travel Insurance Providers for Turkey
Many insurance companies provide coverage for travel to Turkey. After comparing plans, these providers currently offer some of the lowest priced options:
1. Seven Corners
Seven Corners is known for excellent travel medical insurance at very reasonable rates. Their Liaison plan is a top pick for Turkey. It includes $250,000 in medical coverage and $1 million in evacuation benefits for just $1.12 per day.
2. Trawick International
Trawick International offers flexible travel protection plans like their Safe Travels Comprehensive policy. It covers Turkey trips with $250,000 in medical benefits for just $1.30 per day.
3. Azimuth Risk Solutions
The Patriot Travel plan from Azimuth Risk Solutions provides $50,000 in medical coverage and $500,000 in evacuation benefits for Turkey for only $0.93 cents per day. It’s one of the most budget-friendly options.
4. Nationwide Mutual Insurance
Nationwide’s Individual Expedition plan is an affordable choice for Turkey travel. It has $100,000 in medical benefits and $500,000 evacuation coverage starting at $1.28 per day.
RoamRight has a WorldMed Outbound plan that covers trips to Turkey with $50,000 medical/$500,000 evacuation benefits for just $1.12 per day, making it a cheap option.
Comparing Plan Benefits and Exclusions
When choosing among the cheapest Turkey travel insurance plans, you’ll want to compare both benefits and exclusions side-by-side. Pay attention to:
- Medical expense limits and deductibles
- Emergency evacuation amounts and services
- Trip cancellation and interruption coverage
- Baggage loss or delay benefits
- Exclusions for high risk activities
- Pre-existing medical condition exclusions
- Requirements for purchase prior to departure
Finding the sweet spot between adequate coverage and lowest cost takes some research. Ultimately, purchase the plan that provides protection you feel comfortable with.
How to Save on Travel Insurance for Turkey
Here are some additional tips for getting the best deal on travel insurance for your upcoming Turkey trip:
- Shop around and compare quotes from different providers. Rates can vary significantly.
- Consider getting just medical coverage rather than a comprehensive package.
- Look closely at your existing insurance plans – some credit cards or employee benefits offer basic travel coverage.
- Raise your deductible amount in exchange for lower premiums.
- Pay annually for multi-trip policies rather than insuring each trip separately.
- Check if your travel companion’s policy could cover you as a family member.
- Consider travel protection packages offered by some tour operators and cruise lines.
- Buy travel insurance early – rates typically increase as your departure date nears.
Amidst all of Turkey’s rich history and natural beauty, having travel insurance should provide peace of mind in case the unexpected occurs. Thankfully, outstanding cheap policies are available from respected providers like Seven Corners, Trawick International, Azimuth Risk Solutions, Nationwide, and Roam Right without sacrificing key benefits. Comparing plans and coverage ahead of time ensures you get ideal protection for your trip to this amazing country.