Purchasing life insurance is an important part of financial planning for many individuals and families. However, the requirement to undergo a medical exam as part of the life insurance application process can be a major barrier for some customers. The good news is that there are now several options to obtain life insurance without needing to take a medical exam.
What Is No Medical Exam Life Insurance?
No medical exam life insurance policies allow applicants to obtain coverage without undergoing a full medical screening. This streamlined underwriting approach relies on the applicant’s answers to health and lifestyle questions on the application and other data sources.
With no medical exam life insurance, there is no scheduled doctor’s appointment, bodily fluids testing, or checkup by a paramedical professional. This allows qualifying applicants who are relatively young and healthy to skip invasive tests and obtain policies more quickly and conveniently.
Benefits of No Exam Life Insurance Policies
There are many advantages to no medical exam life insurance for policyholders:
Speed and Convenience – Coverage can be obtained faster without scheduling and completing medical tests.
No Doctor Visits – You avoid having to go to a lab, screening facility, or doctor’s office.
Less Invasive Underwriting – There is no blood work, urine sample, or other invasive screening.
Lower Costs – No exam policies can save on medical testing fees.
Privacy – You don’t have to share private medical details with examiners.
When Medical Exams Are Usually Required
Traditional fully underwritten life insurance policies typically require a medical exam for applicants older than 50 years old who want higher coverage amounts. Reasons insurers normally require the exam include:
- Evaluating current health and medical history
- Detecting undisclosed health conditions
- Checking vital signs and build
- Testing blood and fluids for disease
- Identifying risks like tobacco use
For larger or permanent policies, insurers want the assurance of a current medical exam. However, for younger, healthier applicants wanting lower coverage amounts, insurers may be comfortable skipping the exam requirement.
Qualifying for No Exam Life Insurance
To qualify for no medical exam life insurance, you’ll typically need to meet requirements like:
- Being under age 65 years old
- Wanting a lower policy amount (e.g. under $1 million)
- Having no major health conditions or risks
- Being able to confirm lifestyle factors like non-smoker status
Insurers will also ask about your medical history, prescription medications, and family health background to assess your qualifications. Meeting the insurer’s criteria for being in good health is key to being approved without taking a medical exam.
Top Companies Offering No Exam Life Insurance
Many top insurance providers now offer streamlined no exam life insurance products including:
- Banner Life
- AIG (American General Life)
- Principal Financial Group
- Lincoln Financial Group
- SBLI Mutual Life Insurance
- Pacific Life
- Mutual of Omaha
These reputable national companies have competitive no medical exam life insurance plans to choose from.
The Application Process
The application process for no exam life insurance is straightforward:
- Select policy type and amount you need
- Provide personal and family information
- Answer health history and lifestyle questions
- Authorize access to medical records and pharmacy data
- Get an instant decision or short underwriting period
- Review policy terms and complete purchase
Without the exam requirement, policies can often be issued in just days or weeks compared to several weeks for traditional medically underwritten policies.
Types of No Exam Life Insurance
Both term and permanent life insurance is available without an exam including:
Term Life Insurance – Provides temporary death benefit coverage with guaranteed premiums for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years.
Whole Life Insurance – Offers lifelong coverage with fixed premiums and cash value savings that grows over time.
No exam options are also available on guaranteed and simplified issue life insurance products that have an accelerated application process.
Saving Time and Money
Going through medical testing can be time consuming and costly. No medical exam life insurance helps you save both:
- Avoiding exam fees of $100 to $200 or more
- Skipping travel and time away from work or family
- Preventing delays waiting on appointment scheduling
- Getting coverage faster without underwriting waiting periods
- Starting your coverage sooner and saving on premiums
Finding the Right No Exam Life Insurance Company
To find the best no exam life insurance policy for your needs and budget:
- Research top insurers with highly rated products
- Compare premium costs on policies that fit your amount needed
- Only consider reputable insurers known for customer service
- Work with an independent agent to evaluate multiple carrier options
- Ask over any discounts you may qualify for
- Read policy terms to understand coverage details
Tips for Getting Affordable Quotes on No Medical Exam Life Insurance
Here are some tips for getting the most affordable premium quotes:
- Shop for term life insurance for the lowest cost coverage
- Opt for shorter 10 or 15 year policy terms
- Select a lower policy amount like $250,000 to $500,000
- Maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle
- Check your credit and improve your score if needed
- Compare quotes from at least 3 different insurers
- Apply for coverage while you’re still relatively young and healthy
Life insurance no medical exam policies make obtaining the coverage you need much more convenient and affordable. By skipping invasive tests and simplifying the underwriting process, you can get the protection you want without jumps through hoops or paying for expensive exams. Just be sure to compare no exam life insurance quotes and find a quality insurer that offers affordable premiums and excellent service.
Best Guide: budget-friendly life insurance
Who qualifies for no medical exam life insurance?
Insurers generally approve healthier applicants under age 65 who apply for lower coverage amounts (e.g. $100,000 to $500,000). Factors like age, health conditions, family history, and lifestyle are considered.
What types of policies are available without an exam?
You can often obtain term life and some permanent life insurance like whole life without a medical exam. Simplified issue and guaranteed issue policies also usually don’t require an exam.
How accurate is underwriting without an exam?
Insurers can get an accurate picture of risk by reviewing medical records, prescription history, and relying on health questions. However, higher risk applicants may need an exam.
How long does no exam life insurance take to get?
Coverage can often be issued in as little as 1-2 weeks compared to 4-6 weeks on fully underwritten policies requiring exams.
Can smokers get no exam life insurance?
Yes, but smokers may get lower coverage amounts approved or pay higher premium rates. Each applicant is assessed individually.